- This event has passed.
West End Babywearing Basics and Social
July 29, 2018 @ 2:30 pm - 5:00 pm
Welcome to Babywearing Basics and Social!
Join us in re-establishing our west end CMC babywearing meetings. Damask Studios (www.damaskstudios.com) has graciously offered their space to support our teaching efforts. The goal of these meetings is to get people carrying. Trained babywearing educators volunteer their time to help parents and caregivers gain the skills and confidence to carry their children safely and comfortably.
Meetings are open to all parents and caregivers (and those expecting to become parents or caregivers). You can read about our Acknowledgements and Standards of Inclusion here: https://tinyurl.com/CMCInclusion
Currently meetings operate on a pay-what-you-can basis, with donations directly supporting CMC’s ongoing activities by allowing us to purchase insurance for our volunteers and carriers for our collection. You can read more about donations here: https://tinyurl.com/DonationsCMC
How Meetings Work:
- From 3pm-3:15pm, we will have time for people to arrive and socialize.
- From 3:15pm -5:15pm we offer babywearing instruction.
- We open with a season specific reminder and the basics of babywearing safety (Visible and Kissable!)
- Most of the meeting is spent in small groups tailored, as much as possible, to the needs of attendees.
- During small groups we are usually able to teach the basics of front, hip and back carrying*. For those attendees that bring your own baby and carrier, educators will assist with fitting and troubleshooting carriers.
- Educators will provide assistance with special carrying circumstances when possible.
* Please note that no back wrapping will be taught at this babywearing basics meeting. Our Babywearing 101 meetings in the East end can usually teach the simplest of back carries with a woven wrap to those who are ready. For more technical carries, caregivers in Toronto have the option of booking private consultations with a number of experienced babywearing educators.
How the Carrier Collection Works:
- The carrier collection is only available to learn with and try on for fit during the meeting, and for our volunteer educators to use for demonstration purposes. At this time, we do not lend out carriers.
- Although we will have a small teaching library of buckle carriers, wraps, meh dai/bei dai and ring slings available, we encourage you to bring your own carrier (BYOC). If you are looking to try out a wide number of carriers, the East End CMC meetings will be more useful as they offer a more extensive library at that location.